Pages

Friday, February 22, 2019

You, Me and Anxiety


     A few weeks into my separation I couldn’t sleep, had  no appetite, had moments where I couldn’t breathe and would ugly cry at the drop of a hat.  I worked hard at hiding it all and then would fall apart privately.  It continued to get worse, but I failed to notice it.  I was purely in survival mode.  One day while at work I felt my chest tighten up and pain shoot through my body.  I wondered if I was having a heart attack, but suddenly realized what it really was.  I was experiencing anxiety.  Something I had never dealt with personally before, but I knew enough to finally recognize what it was.  It was right then and there that I knew I needed to take care of it before it destroyed me. Through this experience I learned  some valuable tools to overcome anxiety.

  1. Know the warning signs, what it looks like to you so you can recognize when it starts.  The sooner you catch it the better.  Easier to combat it.
  2. Get sleep!  I can’t stress this one enough. This is the number one priority. I finally went and got some sleep aids so that I could sleep and it was amazing how much better I felt after a good nights sleep.  I could think more clearly and handle things so much better.
  3. Remember to breathe,  Take slow deep breaths.  
  4. Have support people.  Someone nonjudgmental whom you trust that will let you bounce all your thoughts off of.  Who will support you, but also gently bring you back to reality.  
  5. Get some fresh air.  Go for a walk, run or sit on a bench and just breathe it in.  It clears the mind and soothes the soul.
  6. Focus on one task at a time.  Don’t overwhelm yourself.
  7. Do something just for you.  Get a massage, buy yourself a small treat, do something you love doing.
  8. Once you start to feel better examine your life.  What things do you need to do differently or add to your normal routine.  I look at things I know I should be doing, but I’m not. Such as prayers, scripture study, exercise, eating right, etc.  Try adding one simple thing at a time.  Baby steps.
  9. If  it gets worse, seek professional help.  Counseling and if needed there are some good medications to help you get through it. I am thankful I had a great counselor who helped me get through this time in my life.
You never know what life is going to throw at you. So it’s good to beable to recognize the signs and combat anxiety before it reeks havoc with your life.

XOXO
Tiffanee

No comments:

Post a Comment