Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2019

Oops....Are My Insecurities Hanging Out

About a year ago I had a lunch date.  I walked through the crowded restaurant, ordered and was filling my drink when I wondered why the back of my leg felt cold..  just at that moment my date rushed over and pulled down my dress that was tucked in the back of my underwear. The most surprising part of it is I think my date took it worse than I did. Was I embarrassed..yes, but traumatized no.  I shrugged it off saying oh well things happen and I went on with my day. However, it did make for a great story.
   This got me thinking about insecurities. Why is it when my underwear hangout I can roll with it, but when my insecurities hang out it’s a whole different story. I have found I have a lot of them, especially when it comes to dating and  relationships. I never imagined I would be trying to figure this all out again at 50 years old. It’s all new and very scary. The inner mean critic shows up often and tells me that I’m not enough. This has caused me to go back and delete comments I’ve made on social media posts, erasing texts before I hit send or panicking because I did hit send. I’ve avoided any real relationship talk, ran away or shutdown at the first sense of insecurity and I’ve wondered why I hardly ever get second dates.(haha)
    The fact is Insecurity wrecks havoc on our self esteem and influences our behavior. It causes a whole ball of emotions and feelings of unworthiness. It causes unnecessary worry and chronic overthinking. It can become like a filled balloon that you are trying to tuck back in a crack which we know is impossible without letting out the air.  How do we do that in this case? The key is to recognize what it is(an insecurity not fact), figure out the cause of it, challenge that critical inner voice and squeeze the power out of it.
    It is time to handle insecurities just like I did that day my underwear was hanging out, recognize, deal with it and move on with confidence. Now to take those chances; send texts, post and not delete comments and give love a chance.  Who knows what might happen!

XOXO
Tiffanee
    

No comments:

Post a Comment