Pages

Friday, September 6, 2019

Just Dance

     When I was a child there was an elite dance/drill team in my town.  It was full of all the really cool girls, but unfortunately had an age limit and I had missed it by one year.  When my sister was about 4 years old the director approached my mom and asked if my sister could be one of the banner carriers, because she was so cute.  My sister was adorable and this led in to her joining the younger team and eventually participating in dance competitions. She was incredibly talented, won big trophies, crowns and was really fun to watch.  I was so proud of her.

     I attended almost all the events and sat on the bench taking it all in wanting so badly to be a part of it, but knew it was not possible. I did however, find out that you did not need to part of a team to join the competitions and made it my dream.  I would spend hours and hours in my room choreographing dance routines that I could perform in front of judges.  The only problem with this dream...I never told anyone.  I was to scared to ask.
   
There is this simple rule in life: 

If you do not ask the answer will always be no.

Throughout my life I have missed out on a lot of things that I have wanted to do because I was scared to ask.  I then would be bummed and disappointed. In the last year I have learned a few valuable lessons in regarding to asking for what you want:
  1. It is normal to be scared to ask for what you want.  Do it anyway.  Face that fear, because there is nothing worse than looking back with regret and disappointment because you never even tried.
  2. You may ask for something and the answer may be a big fat NO.  Remember it is OK. Asking for what you want will result in a lot of yeses too!! 
  3. Getting told no doesn't mean you suck. Period. Done. Don't even go there. 
  4. Realize how good you really are. You are worth it! Confidence is the key. It will not only help you get the yeses, but better handle the nos of life too.
My parents were always supportive of anything we wanted to do and I am sure if I had told them about this dream to dance they would of done everything in their power to help me make it happen.  Unfortunately, the time to ask that question is long gone, along with my coordination and the ability to really bust a move (my children will happily verify this information).  However, it does provide a good reminder to keep dancing and that if you never ask, you will never know or have the chance.. so JUST ASK!!

XOXO

Tiffanee
My sister is still dancing (more Zumba these days). She's beautiful inside and out.
She amazes me every single day!


2 comments: