Pages

Thursday, September 26, 2019

Breaking the Filter Addiction

       Media has always portrayed people as beautiful and flawless. Now there are apps and filters that give everyone access to that “flawless” look instantly.  It appears to be the new social media norm. It is so easy to get caught up in it, because in this day and age of the social media craze there are pictures of what we are "supposed" to look like constantly staring us in the face
      Recently, I was curious and did some testing to see what responses I would get with filtered versus untouched pictures.  I am sure you can guess which pictures got the responses and which ones did not.  It was also interesting the quickness of the response time.  I tried to resist the urge to use the filtered one as my profile picture,but I failed.  Curiosity got to me, but only for a very short time and the overwhelming response was a bit shocking. Within 24 hours it became my most popular profile picture that only includes me in it (add my kids and the average goes up), after a week it had double the likes and 8x more comments than the unfiltered one posted just after it.
     Filters for pictures are so much fun. Truth be told they do make you look better and can give you an instant boost of self esteem.  They hide the wrinkles, zits, and other flaws. I will admit in the past I was addicted and found myself in the trap of the so called "social beauty standards". I began comparing myself to others and it left me feeling like I could never measure up.. I would spend so much time filtering, editing, adjusting pictures of myself before I would post on any social media platform or sometimes before I would even send them to anyone. I even took it so far one time to stretch my head so that my face looked thinner. It didn't take long for me to realize I did not like the way this was making me feel and if I kept it up I was on a fast road to self destruction  I pulled myself off of social media for a bit and put my focus on liking me.
     In the recent months I have heard several people say that when they meet people in person they look nothing like they do in their pictures and something just clicked....I wanted to be recognized, because in real life I look the same way as I do in pictures and be proud of that fact.
      Filters are still fun, but don't let it become your reality, remember it is better to be just you... Real - with wrinkles, zits and all the other flaws. To quote a friend of mine "Authenticity, is the most attractive quality of all." The important thing is you need to love yourself for who you are!  Don't compare yourself to others.
"No one is YOU and that is your SUPER POWER!"
and my favorite
"Self Love is the greatest middle finger of all time."
     Self esteem is something I still struggle with, but will admit I have come along ways. My goal is to look myself in the mirror and like what I see, not dislike what I am not. I have learned how to acknowledge the beauty in others, while trusting in my own.  Everyone is unique and beautiful in their own way and we need to learn to embrace that fact. Build upon it and not tear it down. It starts with each of us individually.
     This doesn't mean I won't play around with filters once in awhile, but I have found a new addiction to when I am having a bit of a self esteem issue..colored lip gloss, the more shiny the better and it seems to do the trick! 
Remember each and every day that you are beautiful just the way you are no filters or media standards are needed.
Love yourself, be real and be YOU!!
As I told a group of women last week during my presentation:
"Always remember, you are amazing..Realize how good you really are!"

I promise to take my own advice too.

XOXO
Tiffanee

1 comment: