Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2019

The Challenge in the Desert


I recently had the opportunity to hike in Arizona with a group of people I really didn’t know.  In fact it was all unfamiliar territory to me.  The dry desert heat, the elevation and three hours of sleep.  I had no idea what I had gotten myself into.  As we started on the trail it quickly became an uphill climb and honestly felt it would never end.  I had to stop a few times to catch my breath, but finally made it to the top.  The view was breathtaking as I had not realized until then how high we had actually climbed.  We took a few pics and then pressed forward now descending down a steep pathway. Once at the bottom it flattened out for awhile.  I figured I had made it through the worst part. Then suddenly the group stopped.  There was a discussion that came to the conclusion it would be best for us to turn around and go back the way we came that continuing on the loop was not a wise decision. This meant I not only would have to climb back up the steep hill but descend the front side of it.  It was not easy.  Sweat kept dripping sunscreen causing my eyes to burn and my lungs were on fire.  I slipped and fell several times going back down the hill because my shoes had no traction in the dirt and rocks.
     In a recent conversation I teasingly told a friend that I loved a good challenge, but is it possible to love the challenge when we are smack dab in the middle of it. This got me thinking.  Challenges do not need to be completed instantly. Just like my hike you sometimes you need to slow down, take breathers, adjust your course of action and most importantly you don't have to do it alone. Others are there to pick you up, dust you off, walk beside you and even carry you for a bit if needed.
The funny thing about this hike is even through all the struggles I enjoyed every minute of it.  I never thought about quitting or even complaining. It was all because I had great support and I listened to my body the same essentials we need to remember during a challenge.

XOXO
Tiffanee

No comments:

Post a Comment