Pages

Monday, April 22, 2019

Going Up Hill...

   
     When I get an itch, I just have to scratch it and in this case it was the itch to race.  I found one that was not far away and for a decent price so I signed my girls and I up with only a few days until race day.  We arrived at the site and it was pouring rain to find the start was straight up a pretty decent sized hill.  I had ran to the bathroom shortly before the start and missed the directions given regarding the race course.  I made it to line just in time for the gun to go off.  I made it up the hill and then it was a pretty good decent back down.  It then went around and headed right back up the hill.  Just when you thought it was going to taper off you'd turn a corner and find another switchback going up.  I powered through thinking I can make it, only to find when I reached the aid station that I had to do that loop 3 times.  The second time I hit the hill was quite a bit slower and I found myself having to walk more than I ran so I did not die. I was soaked and the trail was getting more muddy by the minute.  By the time I hit it the third time I was smart enough to use my arms and power walk the hill.  Which took the chance of slipping on the mud out and was much easier on my body.  After finishing my last loop it was straight up the hill for a half mile and a very short gradual decent to the finish line.
     This got me thinking about certain trails or problems that you think you made it though only to find out you are dealing with it again. Why does this happen?  Isn't it enough to survive it once?  I came to the conclusion just as that day on the hill loop with each loop up it I learned something different and with each loop I got smarter and stronger.  When we experience a trial more than once it is because we have more learning and growing to do. Perhaps we are not ready for the big chunk all at once and it's the growth that occurs with each step we take.  Giving us what we need each time until we realize the changes that happened. It is then important to recognize the extra growth and strength we have been given because of our multiple trips "up that hill".
      Life can’t always be on a flat surface because we would never grow.  After completing 3 loops of hills I thought I would not make it up the last hill to the finish, but knew I had to.  Not only was it my goal, but the only path to the finish line.  Henry B Eyring said, “If you are on the right path, it will always be uphill."  Set your sights on that path, look upwards, and take those steps.  Each step will bring growth and strength, but most importantly bring you closer to your goal.  During trials don’t be afraid to ask for help, keep moving, believing, loving and doing. Before you realize it you’ll be enjoying the beautiful view from the top of the hill.


XOXO
Tiffanee

1 comment:

  1. I love the insights you mention here. It's interesting to me how we are given repeated tests until we finally "get it" and can progress. You are an inspiration to me for all you accomplish!

    ReplyDelete